A natural part of the environment both indoors and outdoors, mold doesn’t typically cause any problems unless it starts growing indoors in moist areas and residents or tenants are sensitive to it. Mold has the potential to cause health problems that vary between individuals as well as cause damage to a home. By staying educated about the potentially harmful effects of mold, you’ll able to stay one step ahead if you experience it in your home, business, or school.
1. Symptoms associated with mold exposure including allergic reactions, respiratory complaints, and asthma
2. The best way to control mold growth in your home is to have control over the moisture levels – the more moisture that is present, the greater cahnce of mold growth
3. If you have water leaks other problems, repair them as soon as possible to reduce the risk of mold growth as soon as possible
4. Viable mold growth or settled spores should be removed and remediated by a professional
5. Usually, one can keep the humidity levels in your home between 30-60% to decrease mold growh by:
- Properly ventilating bathrooms, laundry rooms, and other moisture generating areas
- Using air conditioners and de-humidifiers
- Increasing ventilation throughout your home
- Using exhaust fans when cooking, cleaning, and washing dishes
6. Dry and clean wet or damp furniture, building materials, and flooring as soon as possible to help prevent mold growth
7. Always properly dry and clean hard surfaces properly. Absorbent (porous) materials sometimes cannot be cleaned and must be replaced to eliminate mold and mold growth.
8. Prevent condensation on weindos, piping, and exterior walls by properly engineering and insulating these areas
9. Do not install carpeting where there is constant moisture – i.e. near sinks, in bathrooms, by water founains
10. Mold can grow on virtually any substance if moisture is present – this includes wood and carpet
If you notice mold in your home or business, call Envirotech Clean Air Inc. today to remove and remediate the problem at (800) 698-1300.