Air ducts in your home allow the heat and cool air from your homes HVAC system to circulate throughout the various spaces in your home to maintain consistent temperatures throughout each room. Air will run through these ducts numerous times throughout a given day and the air that is pushed into each room is the air your family will be breathing in. Accumulation of dust and debris in air ducts in normal throughout a home, but when there are various other factors that can increase this build up, increasing the need for regular air duct cleanings.
What is Air Duct Cleaning?
Air duct cleaning refers to the cleaning of the various components of a forced air system, including the supply and return air ducts and registers, grilles and diffusers, heat exchangers and cooling coils, drain pumps, fan motor and housing, and the handling unit housing.
Overtime these components may become contaminated with dust, debris, and pollen and if moisture is present, mold can grow within the ducts and can be released into the air in your home. Some contaminants can cause allergic reactions or other symptoms if exposed to them, making it even more important to ensure your service provider is cleaning your air ducts correctly.
Factors that Increase the Need for Regular Maintenance
- Occupants with allergies and/or asthma
- Water contamination or damage
- Renovation or remodeling projects
- Cigarette and cigar smoke within the home
Benefits of Air Duct Cleaning
Dirty air ducts should always be cleaned by a reputable HVAC professional to see the most benefit from your investment.
Indoor Air Quality
Air ducts see normal accumulation of contaminants over the years as a home is occupied and these contaminants may filter through a duct system several times per day, pushing them into the air we breathe and causing buildup within the duct itself. Cleaning your air ducts can reduce the number of harmful contaminants breathed in and promote healthier living.
When contaminants build up in the air ducts, it may causes your heating and cooling system to work hardener and can even reduce the lifespan of your system. When you keep your system and air ducts clean, less energy is used which in turn saves you money.
What to Expect from your Air Duct Cleaning Provider
After making the decision to hire an HVAC professional to clean your system, you should expect them to:
- Open all access ports and ducts for the entire system and ducts to be properly cleaned
- Inspect the system prior to cleaning to ensure there are no Asbestos-containing materials within the system
- Use of high-efficiency particle air (HEPA) vacuum equipment to clean inside the home
- Protection of carpet and furniture during the cleaning process
- Brushing and agitation of interior duct surfaces to dislodge particles in addition to vacuuming
- Sealing and re-insulating any access points used to ensure they are airtight
- Use of soft-bristled brushes on ductwork that contains or is made up of fiberglass
- Follow NADCA’s standards for air duct cleaning
To make your air duct cleaning appointment with Envirotech Clean Air, Inc, call us today at (800) 698-1300.